- 1 beef Cross Rib Chuck Roast or Arm Chuck Roast Boneless (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes (about 1-1/2-inch diameter), cut in half
- 1 pound carrots, peeled, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, cut into 8 wedges each
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; coat beef roast with 2 tablespoons flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour mixture. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings.
- Combine broth, tomato paste and thyme in stock pot; whisk in reserved flour mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours. Stir gravy. Add potatoes, carrots and onions to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until roast and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Carve roast into slices or chunks; serve with vegetables and gravy.