Classic Beef Stew
Courtesy of: American Diabetes Association
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs top round (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 lbs cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and quartered
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the all-purpose flour with the Italian seasoning. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Dredge the beef cubes lightly in the flour mixture and add the beef, in batches to keep the beef in one layer, until well browned on each side. Remove the beef from the pan and deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup chicken broth. Add in the mushrooms and sauté for about 4 minutes until well browned. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and deglaze with another 1/4 cup of the broth. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes. Return the beef to the pot, add the remaining chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Partially cover, lower the heat to simmer, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 3/4-inch pieces. Cut the carrots into 1/2-inch pieces. Add the potatoes and carrots to the stew and continue to cook for another 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add in the reserved mushrooms, peas, and thyme. Season with red wine vinegar and black pepper.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!