- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered stevia
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil plus 2 Tbsp., melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/2 – 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 6-well doughnut pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, stevia, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the coconut milk and 1/3 cup coconut oil over low heat until the oil melts (do not allow to boil), mixing gently with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, stir in the applesauce and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix gently. If clumps develop, use an immersion blender or mixer, and mix until very smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut flakes.
- Pour the batter into the doughnut pan, filling about halfway to allow for rising.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 to 30 minutes. Gently scrape the sides of each well and flip the pan to turn doughnuts out. Use a toothpick to help lift them out, if needed.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice malt syrup and the 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil together until well combined.
- Coat the doughnuts thinly with icing, and press on remaining coconut flakes to coat all over.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!