- 2 1/2 pounds peppers, mild or hot as desired
- 1 pound cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 to 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch flowerettes
- 1 cup peeled pickling onions
- 7 to 14 garlic cloves, as desired
- 6 cups vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar, if desired
Wash and prepare vegetables. Slit small peppers. Core large peppers and cut into strips. Remove blossom end of cucumbers and cut into chunks. Peel and chunk carrots. Break cauliflower into flowerettes. Pack vegetable medley into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. In 3-quart saucepan, bring vinegar, water, salt and sugar to a boil. Pour hot solution over mix in jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Add liquid to bring headspace to 1/4 inch. Wipe jar rims. Add pretreated lids and process in boiling water bath. For best flavor, store jars five to six weeks before opening. Yield: Makes 7 to 8 pints
Colorado State University Extension
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!