- 12 oz. fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons butter (cut in half for less fat)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (cut in half for less fat)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (red, preferred choice)
- 3 oz. smoked salmon, chopped
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (Neufchatel works fine; is lower in calories.)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream (can use 2% milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain. Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add butter and oil. Heat until butter melts; stir in onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add salmon and cook until opaque, 1 minute. Stir in cheese and cook,* stirring until it melts, 45 seconds. Pour in cream and cook until hot, 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in fettuccine, tossing till well-coated. Stir in salt, pepper and dill and serve.
*Avoid boiling sauce with lower fat content; it could separate.
Here is an Italian twist on classic bagels and lox (cured/smoked salmon).
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!