Submitted by: Rick Tytko Brecksville, Ohio
- 2 cakes yeast or 3pkgs. Dry
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 9+ cups of flour, sifted
- First scalded milk and melt butter.
- At the same time mix yeast, 1/2 tsp. sugar and lukewarm water and set aside until it proofs.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter into scalded milk then set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs until foamy.
- Stir cooled milk mixture into foamy eggs.
- Add salt, vanilla and yeast mixture.
- Blend in flour a couple of cups at a time and knead until it is not sticky (knead about (8-10 minutes). See note.
- Put in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down in the middle and let rise again about 1 hour.
- Divide into 4 or 5 equal parts and let sit 10 minutes.
- Place in bread pans and let rise once more for 30-40 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
NOTE: you can add 1 to 1 1/4 cups of raisins to the dough if preferred. Add before beginning to let the dough rise