Betty Yuricek from Warren, Ohio
- 2 quarts milk
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Nutmeg (optional)
- Cheese cloth
- Rope (strong enough to hold weight of syrek)
- Salt (optional)
- Lay cheese cloth over strainer over a bowl.
- In a large pot heat milk just before boiling, do not bring to boil.
- In a large bowl beat eggs.
- Add sugar, vanilla and nutmeg to beaten eggs.
- Once milk is heated add egg mixture to the pot.
- Constantly stir on medium-high heat until mixture resembles scrambled eggs.
- Pour contents of pot into the cheese cloth on strainer.
- Shake strainer to condense mixture and strain excess liquid.
- Gather cheese cloth and tie ends together.
- Hang bag over bowl to allows excess liquid to drip for couple hours.
- Untie bag and refrigerate bag overnight.
- Once cooled, remove from cloth and wrap in plastic wrap to prevent drying.
- Keep refrigerated.
* Served Easter Syrek cold, slice any way desired, sprinkle with salt (optional). Enjoy!*
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!