Yield: 2 dozen
- 3 Tbsp. coffee beans
- 2 Tbsp. double-strength brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plus 2 T. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Grind coffee beans to a fine powder. Place in a small microwave-safe bowl; add brewed coffee and heat on high setting for 10 to 15 seconds to steep. Set aside.
- Blend butter and sugar until light and fluffy; whisk in eggs and coffee bean mixture.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, blending well. Fold in nuts. Divide dough in half.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat dough out into two, 13-inch by 1-1/2 inch by 1/2-inch rectangles, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 325˚F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove to a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes.
- Place on a cutting board; using a serrated knife, slice 1/2-inch thick diagonally at a 45-degree angle.
- Place slices upright on baking sheet 1/2 inch apart and return to oven for 10 minutes longer, until slightly dried.
- Let cool on rack. Store in a tightly covered container.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!