- 5-6 C. bread flour
- 2 1/2 C. water (130°F)
- 2 Tbsp. rapid rise yeast
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- cooking spray
- sesame seeds
- In a gallon zippered plastic bag, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Seal bag and blend well.
- Add warm water and oil; seal and knead the bag with fingers until smooth and well blended.
- Add 2 cups flour and work until blended.
- Add another cup of flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead 10-15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Spray dough with cooking spray; cover with plastic wrap; let rest 20 minutes.
- Punch dough down.
- Divide dough into two parts and roll each into a French bread style loaf.
- Arrange on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush top with beaten egg white; sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- With sharp knife, slash top diagonally three times, 1/4” deep.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until double in bulk (20 minutes to 1 hour).
- Bake at 400° F until light brown, about 30-35 minutes.
Yield: 2 loaves
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!