- 4 T. unsalted butter, plus extra for spreading
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 3 C. beef stock
- 5 T. Madeira or sherry
- 8 medium, dried morels
- 4 slices French bread
- 1 C. Gruyere, Beaufort or Fontina cheese, grated
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter and oil in large frying pan, add onions and cook 10-15 minutes until browned.
- Transfer onions to a large saucepan, add beef stock, Madeira and Morels and simmer 20 minutes.
- Toast French bread in broiler on both sides. Butter one side and pile on cheese.
Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls, float cheese toasts on top and broil until brown.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!