- 4 T. unsalted butter, plus extra for spreading
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 3 C. beef stock
- 5 T. Madeira or sherry
- 8 medium, dried morels
- 4 slices French bread
- 1 C. Gruyere, Beaufort or Fontina cheese, grated
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter and oil in large frying pan, add onions and cook 10-15 minutes until browned.
- Transfer onions to a large saucepan, add beef stock, Madeira and Morels and simmer 20 minutes.
- Toast French bread in broiler on both sides. Butter one side and pile on cheese.
Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls, float cheese toasts on top and broil until brown.