- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or put through a garlic press
- 6 large ears of corn, shucked and kernels scraped or cut off
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender and lightly colored, 10 –15 minutes. Add the corn and stock and cook, partially covered, for 25 minutes. Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes. Using the ladle, scoop out 2 cups of the corn and put it in a blender. Add the basil. Turn the blender to a medium setting and blend until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the blended soup back to the soup pot and stir well. Salt if desired. Serve hot; cover and refrigerate leftovers up to 3 days.