- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) Elbows
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in large, deep skillet, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic to skillet; cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 minute or until flour is dissolved and mixture is smooth and paste-like. Gradually whisk in milk, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until sauce thickens.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until well combined. Stir in chicken broth. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Remove from heat.
- Add pasta to skillet; toss to combine. Stir in 1/4 cup of the tomatoes and 1/4 cup of the basil. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Top with remaining tomatoes and basil; serve immediately.