- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio or other short-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
- Melt butter in 12-inch skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onion in butter, stirring frequently, until tender; reduce heat to medium.
- Add apple juice to onion mixture in skillet; cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in rice. Cook uncovered over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until edges of kernels are translucent.
- Mix broth and water; pour 1/2 cup broth mixture over rice. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat with remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until rice is tender and creamy. Sprinkle with cheese, pepper and parsley.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!