- 2 tablespoons fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (divided)
- 1 avocado (cut into chunks)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups red quinoa (uncooked/dry)
- Heat grill.
- Peel and cut avocado into chunks; place in a medium bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, basil, an 1/2 tsp black pepper. Drizzle over avocado chunks, toss, and set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise.
- Mix 1/2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and remaining black pepper. Brush mixture on chicken and red bell pepper.
- Grill chicken and pepper until done. Set chicken breasts aside. Cut pepper into thin strips.
- While chicken and peppers are grilling, heat remaining olive oil in a large pan, add garlic and onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon, and quinoa to pan; bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked (about 15-20 minutes).
- Place quinoa pilaf in a large bowl and add chicken, red peppers, and avocado. Toss gently.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!