- 2 1/2 cups chestnuts
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- With a small sharp knife, score an “X” on the rounded side of each chestnut, being careful not to cut through the nutmeat.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water to a boil.
- Add chestnuts.
- Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain and return chestnuts to the pan; cover and keep warm.
- With a kitchen towel or pot holder, remove one or two chestnuts at a time.
- Peel and discard outer shell and inner skin.
- Slice nutmeats.
- In a large saucepan, sauté celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender.
- Add chestnuts; sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in the stuffing cubes, 1 1/2 cups broth and seasonings.
- Transfer to a greased 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish; pour remaining broth over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!