Ingredients for the Pork:
- 1 large onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 4-5 pound boneless pork loin
- 12 thyme sprigs
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1/4 cup beef stock, if needed
Ingredients for the Roasted Applesauce:
- 3 pounds apples, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- juice from half of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
- pinch sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
Directions for the Pork::
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line roasting pan with onion slices. Top with sprigs of thyme and rosemary.
- Mix together olive oil, garlic salt, pepper, remaining rosemary and thyme. Rub mixture all over pork.
- Place pork over onions and roast for about 1 1/2 hours or until thermometer reads 150° to
- Remove pork and onions from pan and loosely cover with foil. Let rest while you make gravy.
- Pour drippings into saucepan (or use the same pan if it is stove-proof). Melt butter and add flour. Whisk until smooth, about one minute. Add wine and stock, if needed. Bring to a bubble and check for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Slice pork into thin slices. Serve with onions, gravy, and roasted applesauce.
Directions for the Roasted Applesauce:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Add apples, water, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla bean, and salt to roasting pan. Add butter pieces to the top of apples.
- Roast until apples are very soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Puree using food mill. Serve warm alongside roast pork.
- Applesauce can be refrigerated in an airtight jar for 5 days.