Homemade Honey Wheat Bread
Submitted by: Lynne Almasy of Hubbard, OH
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup honey
- In the bowl of a bread machine put: all ingredients.
- Process on the dough setting.
- If you don’t have a bread machine you can mix by hand and knead for 5 minutes, or until elastic.
- Or mix it in your stand mixer with a dough hook until elastic.
- When cycle is complete, place on a floured surface and knead a few times.
- Divide dough in two.
- Place into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise one hour.
- This recipe does not rise really high at this point.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes-until it’s brown on top.
- Especially good with homemade butter!
Here’s how I make my butter:
- 1/2 pint whipping cream (this is almost always ultra-pasturized, it will still make butter)
- sea salt to taste
- Let cream sit out on counter for about an hour before you start.
- Place in a pint mason jar and screw on the lid.
- Start shaking it!
- First it will turn a little thick, then to whipping cream, then it will separate into a liquid and butter!
- Pour off the liquid.
- This is buttermilk, not the cultured kind, but makes great biscuits and pancakes.
- Save it up to 2 days in the fridge.
- Place the butter in a bowl and cover it with iced water.
- Using a spatula work it around in the butter.
- Sprinkle with salt and repeat the iced water step.
- You are done.
- You can smear the butter into candy molds, refrigerate for 30 minutes and unmold.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!