- 2 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup creamed corn
- 1 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, for skillet
- honey and butter, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Swirl the 1 T vegetable oil in the cast iron skillet and place in the oven to heat, watch that it doesn’t start to smoke.
- Mix the cornmeal and salt in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl combine the next 5 ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients with the dry until just combined. Batter will be lumpy; don’t over mix.
- Open the oven and drop a tsp. of batter into the hot skillet and make sure it is heated enough to sizzle. Carefully pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden brown.
- Cut into slices and serve with additional honey and butter.
Tip: Add 4 pieces of chopped bacon to the batter for a special treat!
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!