by Rick Tytko
- 1/4 pound butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- strawberry or other preserves
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and egg yolks; cream well. Sift together flour, salt, soda, and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture. Knead lightly.
- Pat out in bottom of greased 8-inch square pan. Spread generously with jam. Sprinkle with half the nuts.
- Beat together egg whites and sugar until stiff. Spread over nuts. Top with remaining nuts.
- Bake at 350° 25-30 minutes. Cool, cut into squares; sprinkle with Confectioners’ sugar.