Ingredients for Cookies:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (from 15-oz container)
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients for Frosting:
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
gel food colors, as desired
candy sprinkles, as desired
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, softened butter, ricotta cheese and lemon peel with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until fluffy; scrape side of bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time, just until smooth. Stir in vanilla. On low speed, beat flour mixture into sugar mixture until well blended. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Using floured fingers, shape dough into 54 (1-inch) balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until set but not brown. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, beat powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons lemon juice with spoon until smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too stiff to spread, add additional lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Tint with food color. Using knife, spread 1/2 teaspoon frosting on each cooled cookie; immediately top with sprinkles. Let stand about 30 minutes or until frosting is set.
- Store covered in airtight container at room temperature.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!