- 2 1/8 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons vanilla sugar*
- 1 1/4 cups ground almonds
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla sugar*
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Cut in the butter until the size of small peas and mix in with your hands.
- Mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar, egg, 3 teaspoons of vanilla sugar, and ground almonds into the flour mixture.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into several parts.
- Roll each section of dough into logs approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the logs into 1-inch pieces, and bend the pieces into a crescent shape (like a croissant).
- Place the kipferl on the baking sheet and chill them for 15 minutes.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- Combine dusting ingredients.
- While still warm, carefully remove kipferl from the baking sheet and dust them in sugar mixture to coat.
- *To Make Your Own Vanilla Sugar:
- Place 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sugar in a pint size glass jar with a clean vanilla bean. Cover, and shake well.
- Let stand for a few days, shaking the jar occasionally.
- As you use the vanilla sugar, replace what you remove with fresh sugar.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!