- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 – 4 Tbsp. ice water, DIVIDED
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Mix egg yolk, 3 Tbsp. ice water and the lemon juice in small bowl.
- Add to flour mixture, 1 Tbsp. at a time, stirring lightly and tossing with fork until moistened and dough just holds together. Add remaining ice water, if needed.
- Gather dough and shape into 1-inch thick disk. Refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, rolling from center to edge, to form a 12-inch circle.
- Fold into quarters; ease and unfold into 9-inch pie plate. Press pastry gently against bottom and sides of pie plate, easing out any air.
- Trim edge leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; flute edge. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- For baked piecrust: Line piecrust with parchment paper; fill with pie weights.
- Bake in 425° f oven until pastry is set, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove parchment paper and weights.
- Bake until edge is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Yields: 1 piecrust (9-inch).
This is the perfect crust for our Lemon Meringue Pie