- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Add the Brussels sprouts, reduce the heat to low, cover, and steam for 5 minutes, until they are crisp-tender. Drain and set aside. When cool enough to handle, slice the Brussels sprouts in half lengthwise.
- In the same skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain the fat.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Return the pan to medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until soft and tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the maple syrup and cook an additional minute.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and cook an additional 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the Brussels sprouts are lightly browned and glazed, and the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the remaining syrup and reserved bacon. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook 1 minute to heat through. Makes 4 servings
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!