- 1 lb. mushrooms, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 poblano chilies, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T. no-salt butter
- 2 t. epazote (or Mexican oregano)
- 1 T. salt
- 1/2 t. ground white pepper
- 1 T. flour
- 2 C. chicken stock
- 1 C. water
- 1 C. half and half
- 1/2 C. Mexican crema (or creme fraiche or sour cream)
- 1 medium Haas avocado
- Saute mushrooms over medium heat in a soup pot with 1 T. butter until tender but not browned. Remove mushrooms from pot and set aside.
- Saute onions and chilies with the remaining butter for 4-5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add the garlic & epazote, and saute for another 2 minutes without browning.
- Add the salt, pepper & flour, saute another 2 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the stock, water, and all but 1/2 C. of the mushrooms. Simmer for 15-20 minutes uncovered, or until vegetables are very soft.
- Remove from heat and let cool a bit. Run the soup thru a blender until fairly smooth, then return to pot. Add half-and-half and reheat slowly without boiling. Adjust seasonings.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and top each with a dollop of cream, a couple thin slices of avocado, and a few of the reserved mushroom sticks.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!