Submitted by our Reader’s Kitchen Week One Winner: Brenda Baker
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1-4 ounce can of mild diced green chilies (undrained)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1- 15 ounce can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can (15 ounce) Mexicana corn (drained), or can use whole kernel corn
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1 large green pepper diced or 1 cup celery, diced (I prefer the celery)
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 6-8 slices crisp bacon fried and crumbled (I sometimes use real bacon bits)
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I use shredded colby jack)
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (I always use real mayonnaise such as Helman’s)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-1 ounce Hidden Valley Ranch Dip Mix
Dressing: (mix until well blended)
- Prepare cornbread mix as directed on the box, adding the 4 ounce can of mild diced green chilies (undrained) and 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Layer as follows:
- 1/2 of the corn bread-crumbles
- 1/2 of the pinto beans
- 1/2 of the corn
- 1/2 of the diced tomato
- 1/2 of the green pepper or celery
- 1/2 of the diced onion
- 1/2 of the fried and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 of the dressing mixture
- 1/2 of the shredded cheese
- Repeat the layers.
Brenda’s Notes: I like to use a trifle dish so it shows the layers and makes a very pretty salad. This is almost a meal in itself. You can make a day ahead. I won second place with this recipe in our local Harvest Cookbook recipe contest. Very good and keeps well.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!