- ¼ cup butter
- 2 16 oz. pkgs. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 med. yellow onion, diced
- 1½ Tbsp. flour
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, tied in a bundle with kitchen twine
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 cups chicken broth or more to taste
- 1 cup water or more to taste
- ½ cup cooking white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- To taste salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves for garnish, or to taste
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté mushrooms and 1 pinch salt in the melted butter for about, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring often, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are caramelized, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Set aside a few attractive mushroom slices for garnish later, if desired.
- Add onion to the mushrooms; cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir flour into the mushroom mixture and cook, stirring often, to remove the raw flour taste, about 2 minutes.
- Add thyme bundle and garlic cloves and then pour in 4 cups chicken broth, 1 cup water and wine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove and discard the thyme bundle.
- Purée soup with a blender in batches until smooth and thick. Stir in cream. If too thick, add a little chicken broth or water. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with reserved mushroom slices and thyme leaves.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!