- 24 mushrooms (about 2 1/2 pounds), stems removed and chopped fine, reserving 1 cup, and the caps left whole
- 12 oz. sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, reserving 4 T. of the oil, and tomatoes minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- Pinch of crumbled dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese for sprinkling mushrooms, fresh grated, preferred
Brush mushrooms caps with some of the reserved tomato oil and arrange them, stemmed sides down, on rack of a broiler pan. Broil mushroom caps under a preheated broiler about 6 inches from heat for 2 minutes, or until they are barely softened, and arrange them, stemmed sides up, in one layer on a baking sheet. In large skillet cook shallot and garlic in remaining reserved oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, or until they are softened, stir in reserved mushroom stems, tomatoes, thyme. Cook mixture, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and mixture is thick. Stir in cream; add salt and pepper to taste, divide mixture among mushroom caps, and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake stuffed mushrooms in middle of preheated 350° oven for 12 to 18 minutes, or until filling is heated through.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!