Ingredients for the Dough:
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups butter (cold)
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 5 cups ground walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- Apricot Filling
- 2 (6 oz.) pkgs. dried apricots
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Using deep bowl, cut butter into flour until it forms coarse crumb texture. Add egg yolks and sour cream to combine.
- Knead until dough is smooth with a little flour on work surface. Refrigerate for a couple hours. (May be made days ahead, covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated.)
- Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough to approximately 1/4 inch thickness; cut into 27 squares.
- Place ½ teaspoon filling on center of each square, bring two opposite corners together and pinch to seal.
- Bake about 12 minutes at 400°. Roll in sifted confectioners? sugar and cool on racks.
NOTE: This cookie may be filled with apricots, pitted dates, or figs. If using dried fruits, cook down with water to soften as in the following filling recipe (cut sugar by half for dates and figs).
Apricot Filling Directions:
- Combine apricots, water and sugar in saucepan. Bring to boil and cook until fruit is softened. Cool and drain.
Bobbie Kozlowski, Pennsylvania
(Bobbie notes this is from a McCall?s Magazine from many years ago. It is the most popular of her Christmas collection of cookie recipes.)
This recipe may be cut in half if you want fewer cookies. Dough can be frozen to use at a later time.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!