Ingredients for the Crust & Topping:
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for the Crust & Topping:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- Stir together oats, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add oat mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Set aside about 1 cup of crust mixture for the topping.
- Transfer remaining mixture to prepared pan. Spread evenly in bottom of pan and about 1/4 inch up sides.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Set aside.
Directions for the Filling:
- Place brown sugar and butter in heavy, medium-sized saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is combined. Bring to low boil, stirring occasionally, and cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Carefully add cream (mixture will bubble) and stir to combine. Stir in vanilla.
- Spread butterscotch evenly on top of partially baked crust.
- Drop remaining crust mixture in small portions on top of butterscotch layer. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.