- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115° F)
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Combine yeast, sugar and water in a 1 cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cook yogurt over medium heat until warm.
- Combine warm yogurt, oats, 3 tablespoons of honey, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl; beat at medium speed with electric mixer until blended.
- Add yeast mixture to oat mixture; mix until blended.
- Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over work surface.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning dough to coat top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon of flour over work surface.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead lightly 4 or 5 times; roll into a 12 x 5 inch rectangle.
- Roll up dough, starting at short side, pressing to eliminate air pockets; pinch ends to seal.
- Place dough, seam side down, in a 7 x 3 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30 minutes or until double in bulk.
- Bake at 400° F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° F; bake 20 minutes more or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan immediately; brush with 1 tablespoon honey and cool on wire rack.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!