- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3-2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups finely chopped peanuts
- 1-1/2 cups Semi-Sweet or dark Chocolate Chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Line 8- or 9-inch square pan with foil; butter foil.
- Cook butter, peanut butter and milk in large saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is melted.
- With wooden spoon gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Remove from heat; pour into prepared pan.
- Cool completely. (Mixture will appear dry, but softens when rolled into balls.)
- Line two trays with wax paper.
- Spread chopped peanuts on one tray; set aside.
- Roll peanut butter mixture into 3/4-inch balls and place on second tray.
- If necessary, refrigerate peanut butter balls until firm enough to handle easily for coating.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir.
- If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
- Cool slightly.
- Dip peanut butter balls completely into chocolate mixture, one at a time, with fork.
- Gently tap fork on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
- Immediately roll in chopped peanuts; gently reshape if necessary.
- Place candy balls into small paper candy cups or return to wax paper-lined tray.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Store in cool, dry place.
About 5 dozen candies. *Recipe can be doubled.*
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!