- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar, Colby, or Monterey Jack cheese (8-ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups cubed country-style sourdough or whole-wheat bread
- 1 13-ounce package turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4‑inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 small)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Softened butter, for the baking dish
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cheese, mustard, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the bread, kielbasa, onions, and bell peppers.
- Stir well until the egg mixture is completely absorbed. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Stir the basil into the egg mixture. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 1 hour or until the eggs are set.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.