- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (cored, seeded, and chopped)
- 1 ounce water
- 1 fresh tomato (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans 15.5 ounce low-sodium red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped, optional)
Directions for rice:
- Put the rice and water in the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook, covered, until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
Directions for beans:
- Place the large skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook until the mixture is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato, salt, cumin, beans, and water and cook until the beans are very soft, about 20–30 minutes.
- Divide the cooked rice among 4 bowls or plates, and top with equal amounts of the bean mixture.
- Top with avocado and sprinkle with cilantro, if using.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!