- 1 pound Certified Angus Beef ® top sirloin or tri-tip steak, diced in 1/8-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro or flat leaf Italian parsley
- 2 (11 oz) tubes raw pizza dough, thin crust
- 1/4 cup flour, for work surface
- 4-inch cookie cutter (large drinking cup works well too)
In a large sauté pan, sear beef in a single layer with olive oil on medium-high heat. Sear in batches to avoid steaming, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Add butter and onion to pan; simmer for 3 minutes until onions become transparent. Add garlic, cumin, cumin seeds, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Combine beef with onion mixture. Stir in green chilies and cilantro. Refrigerate. Preheat oven to 375°. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into 2 large rectangles; dust with flour as needed. Cut eight 4-inch circles from each half. Put 1/3 cup of empanada mixture in each half-circle. Use water on the edge as needs to seal. Place on a sheet tray. Bake approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe provided by the Certified Angus Beef® brand.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!