- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped (about 1 rib)
- 1/2 cup green or red pepper, chopped (about 1/2 large pepper)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 5 whole wheat buns
- Combine ground beef, onion, celery, and pepper in a medium skillet. Add water. Cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes. Stir as needed. Cook until beef mixture reaches at least 160°F. Put ground beef mixture in a colander set over a bowl. Pat mixture with paper towels and rinse with warm water to remove fat. Return to skillet.
- Add ketchup, mustard, and sugar. Heat 5-10 minutes on low heat.
- Toast buns in an oven broiler, toaster oven, or skillet. To use a skillet, spread buns with margarine and place face side down in skillet. Cook over medium heat 1-2 minutes.
- Prepare sandwiches by putting 1/2 cup of meat mixture on bottom of each bun and cover with top of bun.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!