- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, 80/20 lean
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. grated yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 Tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 slices American cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 8 dill pickles slices
- 8 slices tomatoes
- Divide ground beef into 8 equal balls about the size of a ping-pong ball and refrigerate.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, grated onion, hot sauce and Worcestershire to create a special sauce; refrigerate.
- Using either a large cast iron griddle or 2 large cast iron pans heated to high, toast buns with butter; reserve to plates.
- Space beef balls on your hot cooking surface. Using a large metal spatula, smash each ball to 1/4-inch-thick patties. Using parchment helps avoid spatula sticking to beef.
- Season patties with 1 teaspoon of the special sauce per patty; salt and pepper. Sear 2-3 minutes or until some fat begins to bubble up in center of patty.
- Quickly flip and top four of the patties with a slice of cheese. Sear another minute and place a plain patty on top of a cheese patty; remove from the cooking surface.
- Build burgers with a smear of special sauce on the bottom bun followed by shredded lettuce, pickles, tomato, double burgers and top bun.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!