- 1/2 cup warm water (100-110°F)
- 1 pkg. (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (100- 110°F)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour or half whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 T. water
- Poppy or sesame seeds, seasoned or coarse salt
Place warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Add milk, oil, sugar, salt and 1½ cups flour; blend well. Mix in additional flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down; divide into 24 pieces. Roll each piece to 16-inch rope. To make pretzels, curve ends of each rope to make circle; cross ends at top. Twist ends once and lay down over bottom of circle.
Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rest in warm, draft-free place for 5 to 10 minutes, until risen slightly. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush pretzels with beaten egg mixture and sprinkle with selected topping.
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 24 (1.5 oz.) pretzels.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!