Imagine waking up on a chilly morning and beginning the day with a tender scone and a cup of tea. Not too sweet, this scone is studded with apricots and is even better slathered with some berry jam or lightly whipped cream.
Yield: Makes 8 scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 large egg, beaten (for glaze)
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the first five ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla and pulse until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle the apricots over the dough and knead until they are incorporated, about 10 turns.
- Flatten the dough into an 8-inch round baking disk. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Transfer the wedges to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.