- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup soybean (vegetable) oil, divided
- 1 (15 oz.) can black soy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 oz.) can whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
- 1 (10 or 12 oz.) can cooked chicken, drained
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack & Cheddar soy cheese
- 1/2 soy sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper-flavored
- olive oil
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce*
In large skillet, cook onion in 2 tablespoons oil until soft and lightly browned. Remove from heat; stir in soybeans, corn, chicken, cheese, sour cream, salt and hot pepper sauce.
Mix 1/4 cup soy oil and olive oil in small bowl. Spread oil on one side of tortilla using a pastry brush and place oil-side down in hot skillet or a quesadilla maker.
Spread about 11/4 cups soybean mixture over each tortilla. Spread oil mixture on one side of second tortilla; place plain side on top of mixture. Cook until tortilla is golden brown and cheese is melted on both sides. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut into triangles before serving. Serve with Creamy Cilantro Sauce.
*Creamy Cilantro Sauce
1 (8 oz.) container soy sour cream
6 ozs. extra-firm silken tofu
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
In blender or food processor, blend sour cream and tofu until smooth. Add lemon juice, salt and garlic powder; blend until smooth. Add cilantro; blend until well mixed.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!