- Cooking Spray
- 1 pound whole grain elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen pureed butternut squash
- 2 cups 1% low fat milk
- 2 cups low fat cheddar, grated
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Coat a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook until tender but firm, about 5-8 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place the frozen squash and milk in a large saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, breaking up the squash with a spoon until defrosted.
- Turn the heat up to medium and cook until the mixture is almost simmering, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cheddar, ricotta cheese, salt, mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Pour cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to combine.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and oil in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, broil for 3 minutes to brown the top.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!