- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 T. chopped Thai or Italian basil
- 1/2 tsp. red hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. firm or extra firm tofu, pressed in one block
- 4-inch piece of cucumber, peeled
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion halved vertically and cut into 1/2 -inch crescents
To make marinade, combine lime juice, soy sauce, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olive oil in resealable plastic bag. Cut the pressed tofu into 12 cubes. Add tofu to bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours. Soak four 10-inch bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes to 30 minutes. Preheat a grill or broiler to medium-high. Halve cucumber lengthwise. Use teaspoon to scoop out seeds. Cut each piece crosswise into 1-inch crescents. To assemble kebabs, slip a cucumber piece almost to bottom of a skewer. Add a tofu chunk. Slip on 2 or 3 onion crescents, followed by a tomato. Repeat, adding another piece of tofu onion and tomato. Make up to three or more skewers in the same way. Grill or broil kebabs for 2 minutes. Brush them with some marinade. Cook another minute. Turn and cook until the tofu is hot and vegetables lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes, brushing them with marinade halfway through cooking. Serve hot.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!