- 2-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh onion, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- 1/2 cup canned low-sodium pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned low-sodium kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup canned low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/3 cups canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1/4 cup canned low-sodium tomato paste
- 18 low-sodium tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (1 oz)
- 1/4 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, low moisture, part skim, shredded (1 oz)
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and green peppers.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Add beans and stir to coat.
- Add chili powder.
- Cook for 1 minute for flavors to blend.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and mix well.
- Cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Bring to a rolling boil for at least 15 seconds.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer to keep warm.
- Combine cheddar and mozzarella cheeses (the cheese is a garnish). Place ¾ cup chili in a bowl.
- Top with 3 chips and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of cheese blend.
- Serve hot.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!