- 1/2 cup red onions, diced fine
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 or 4 slices smoked turkey breast, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs. collard greens, heavy stems and course ribs discarded
- Water and/or chicken stock, to cover
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar*, optional to taste
Rinse collard greens in sink; then, pick greens away from stems. Heat large pot on stove and add oil, onions and garlic along with smoked turkey. Simmer, then add greens, cover with water, chicken stock or half each. Cover with a lid and cook on low flame 1-1/2 hours. Add salt and pepper after greens are cooked. *Add vinegar to taste, if desired. (Any vinegar will do.)
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!