- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed and divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup apple (peeled and diced)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
Combine cider, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, whisking and cook until thickened, approximately 1-2 minutes. Set aside. Whisk whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and remaining brown sugar in small bowl. Whisk egg, egg white and buttermilk in large bowl. Stir in dry ingredients, apples and bacon until just combined. The batter will be thick. Brush nonstick skillet with 1/2 teaspoon canola oil; place over medium heat until hot. Cook 4 pancakes at a time, using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Gently spread batter to 3-4 inch circle. Serve with your favorite syrup or topping.
This recipe was submitted by the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.