A roundup of 4-H news for the week of Oct. 16, 2008


PATTERSONVILLE, Ohio — Brown Frame Round-Up 4-H club met Oct. 4 at the Brown Frame Building with 12 members attending.

The club had a Halloween party with a bonfire, hayride and candy grab.
The club discussed past frozen food sales and the upcoming cookie dough sale.

Members also brought items to be sent to soldiers overseas.

The next meeting will be Nov. 2 at 2 p.m. at the Brown Frame Building. Gift certificates for the endowment auction will be collected.

* * *

NEW PHILADELPHIA, Ohio — The Milkmakers 4-H club honored members earning places at the Tuscarawas County Fair.

In showmanship, honors received in the beginner division went to Stephanie Steel, first; Hayley Thacker, third; and Donja Maley, fourth.

In the junior division, Mallorie Henry was first, Clinton Steel was third, Sara Donato took fourth and Marlena Henry finished fifth.

In the intermediate division, Ryan Powell was first, Stacie Steel, finished second and Colton Harstine was third. In the senior division, Bo Harstine took the top spot and also received supreme showmanship honors.

Dairy notebook award recipient was Hayley Thacker and interview certificates went to Amy Donato, Sara Donato, Chris Finton, Kurt Finton, Josh Gaskill, Tyler Gaskill, Bo Harstine, Mallorie Henry, Marlena Henry, Donja Maley, Clark Mutti, Clarissa Mutti, Ryan Powell, Stacie Steel, Stephanie Steel, Nathan Steel, Jonathon Taylor, Amie Zumbach and Ellie Zumbach.

It was reported that the annual dairy product sale was a success for 2008 bringing in over $76,000. The funds raised were distributed back, with the youth dairy exhibitors receiving 60 percent and the other 40 percent going to educational and improvement activities and helping to other cover expenses.

The dairy banquet will be Nov. 17 at Dutch Valley Restaurant.


Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!



We are glad you have chosen to leave a comment. Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment policy.

Receive emails as this discussion progresses.