PLAIN GROVE TOWNSHIP, Pa. — More than 75 firefighters from Lawrence, Butler and Mercer counties worked to put out the flames that took down a machinery building at Kind’s Grassycrest Dairy Farm Aug. 25.
Layne Kind called in the fire at 11:46 a.m. By 3:15 p.m., the fire was cleared, said Ronald Steele, assistant fire chief at the Slippery Rock Fire Department.
Steele said the building was insured for $65,000, and he estimates that the fire caused about $1.5 million total in damages.
Although no one was killed in the blaze, Dwight Kind suffered minor burn injuries while trying to rescue equipment from the building.
Steele believes the fire was accidental — most likely caused by an electrical problem. The state fire marshal investigated the accident Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.
(See follow-up story, photos and video.)
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!