- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in extracts.
- Stir in flour. Shape into a ball; cover and chill for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- With floured cookie cutters, cut dough into equal numbers of 2 1/2-inch and 1 1/2-inch stars.
- Combine the almonds, sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush small stars with egg white and immediately sprinkle with almond mixture.
- Leave large stars plain.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake small stars at 350° for 10 minutes and large stars for 12 minutes or just until the tips begin to brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- To assemble, spread enough jam over large star to cover the center.
- Top with a small star; press lightly (jam should show around edge of small star).
- Let jam set before storing cookies in an airtight container.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!