Apple Baklava Bites
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter, cut into 8 cubes
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 package mini fillo shells (15 shells)
- 1 apple, peeled and finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 tsp. cardamom, optional
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Heat your oven to 350ºF.
- Arrange the fillo shells on a baking sheet.
- Add the walnuts, butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt to a food processor or blender; process until the ingredients come together into a chunky dough. Combine the apples and flour in a medium mixing bowl. Add the walnut mixture; mix well.
- Pack about 1 heaping tsp. of the apple-walnut mixture into each fillo shell. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the baklava bakes, combine the water and honey in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 8-10 minutes or until reduced to a thin syrup. Stir in the cardamom and lemon juice.
- Carefully spoon the syrup over the baked baklava, letting it seep into the walnut filling.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!