- 1 basic 9” pie crust, unbaked
Ingredients for the Apple layer:
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled apples
Ingredients for the Custard layer::
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk, heated until very warm
- HEAT oven to 400°F.
- APPLE LAYER: MIX sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- SPRINKLE over apples in small bowl; TOSS.
- ARRANGE apples evenly in bottom of piecrust.
- CUSTARD LAYER: BEAT eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in medium bowl until blended. BEAT IN milk. Slowly POUR over apples.
- CAREFULLY place pie on rack in center of 400°F oven. BAKE until knife inserted midway between center and edge of pie comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- COOL completely on wire rack. REFRIGERATE, loosely covered, until firm, several hours or overnight.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!