- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 slices French bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb. romaine lettuce – rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
Place bacon in large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings. In small bowl, whisk together reserved bacon drippings, mayonnaise, vinegar and basil and let dressing stand, covered, at room temperature. In large skillet, over medium heat, toss bread pieces with salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil, continue tossing and cook over medium-low heat until golden brown. In large bowl mix together romaine, tomatoes, bacon and croutons. Pour dressing over salad and toss well.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!